Its Friday and I want to make a fun post! Last night while working on a project with Christopher, I mentioned that we should add more dirt to some of our designz. He asked me how, so I made a quick HOWTO make dirt using our beloved Inkscape drawing software and then uploading the results, as scalable vector files to our project, Open Clip Art Library.
Check it out! If you like this post, please try to make your own dirt and upload to the Open Clip Art Library:
- Download image of dirt from a source like Google Image Search or Flickr.
- Download and use Inkscape, the free drawing tool!
- Import image in inkscape (I usually embed the image for now)
- Select Path > Trace Bitmap…
- Play with options (prefer simple black and white)
- Convert image to paths by clicking “OK”
- NOTE: At this point you will have some dirt. You may want to delete the image source material you imported now, or later.
- To create dirty type or make some shape dirrrty, then…
- Overlay shape or type on the dirt path.
- Then, play with path operations in the Inkscape Path menu like intersection, exclusion until you get a desirable result
- Have fun! Undo and Redo menu operations are your friend
- Upload your saved SVG (without the image in the file) to the Open Clip Art Library.
Check out my growing collection in my Dirt Gallery (some of you who have known me for some time will get that KC comment ;).